The New Tyne West Development Company LLP (“the LLP”) is a public-private sector partnership set up specifically to deliver a sustainable new neighbourhood for Scotswood, located 3 miles to the west of the city centre of Newcastle upon Tyne.
The LLP comprises two members, The Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne and BK LLP (a consortium between Barratt Homes and Keepmoat Homes).
The New Tyne West Development Company aims to deliver a development which shall provide a new identity and neighbourhood for Scotswood over a 10 to 15 year period. The scheme will be developed over five phases and will provide:
- Construction of around 1,800 new homes of mixed type and tenure with the focus on family housing;
- Development of a new neighbourhood centre with retail, commercial and community space;
- Provision of new areas of quality public realm throughout the development;
- Provision of a local energy solution;
- Social and economic programmes to increase community cohesion, third party public and private sector involvement, social and education activity, jobs and training opportunities.
Being a public-private partnership in its truest form, the LLP has strategically positioned itself to deliver this large scale regeneration project. The amalgamation of the public and private sector allows for the sharing of risk, the ability to secure funding from a wide range of sources and provides a broad range of skills, crucial in the delivery of a scheme of this size and complexity.
Through the LLP’s core business of home building, investment monies will be generated and channelled into community and economic regeneration of the area, benefiting both the new and existing communities. This has a number of potential benefits which could provide:
- Increased opportunities for community and individual involvement in cultural, sport, education, leisure and local service delivery as part of the wider City Council initiatives;
- Investment within the new neighbourhood in civic realm, green spaces and leisure areas to support the City Council’s investment in improvements at Hodgkin Park and Hadrian’s Way;
- Establishment of a new housing market for high quality new build properties in Scotswood;
- Contribution to the delivery of a new physical infrastructure across the Scotswood neighbourhood to support and enhance the demand for new housing;
- Act as a catalyst for regeneration to the wider surrounding areas of the West End of Newcastle, thus creating a new sense of place to change perceptions of the area.