1967 Scotswood Bridge
A new Scotswood Bridge finally replaced the old Scotswood Bridge.
A replacement for the Chain Bridge had been proposed as early as 1941. Permission was finally granted in 1960 and construction commenced on 18 September 1964. It was built slightly to the west of the Chain Bridge, which continued operating during the new bridge's construction.
The bridge was opened on 20 March 1967. It is a box girder bridge, supported by two piers in the river and carries a dual carriageway road.