1884 Elswick Shipyard
A shipyard was opened at the Elswick site to build and equip warships. Armstrong’s became the most successful exporter of warships in the world and by 1895 was the largest employer in Newcastle with an 11,000 strong workforce.
The workers all lived locally, some in housing provided by Armstrong and he named these streets after managers at the factory (for example Noble Street is named after Andrew Noble). He also provided schools and leisure facilities for his employees.
During the First World War the company manufactured tanks, shells and guns and afterwards expanded to produce locomotives which were built at the new Scotswood site.