1847 Elswick Works
Engineer William George Armstrong founded the Elswick works at Newcastle to produce hydraulic machinery, cranes and bridges, soon to be followed by artillery, notably the Armstrong breech-loading gun, which re-equipped the British Army after the Crimean War.
In 1882, it merged with the shipbuilding firm of Charles Mitchell to form Armstrong Mitchell & Company and at the time its works extended for over a mile along the bank of the River Tyne.
Armstrong Mitchell merged again with the engineering firm of Joseph Whitworth in 1897. The company expanded into the manufacture of cars and trucks in 1902, and created an ‘aerial department’ in 1913, which became the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft subsidiary in 1920.
In 1927, it merged with Vickers Limited to form Vickers-Armstrongs.