1839 The Railway
On the 21st of May, Carlisle was joined to Newcastle by a continuous line of rails.
The first railway bridge across the River Tyne at this location was a timber bridge completed in 1839. This was destroyed by fire caused by hot ash from a passing train in 1860.
A wooden replacement opened in 1861 which was then replaced by a temporary single track bridge in 1865.