• 1367 The West Wood
    1367
    The West Wood
     

  • 1831 The Chain Bridge
    1831
    The Chain Bridge
     

  • 1839 The Railway
    1839
    The Railway
     

  • Lord Armstrong
    1847
    Elswick Works
     

  • 1862 The Blaydon Races Song
    1862
    The Blaydon Races Song
     

  • 1884 Elswick Shipyard
    1884
    Elswick Shipyard
     

  • 1896 The ‘Crooked Billet’
    1896
    The ‘Crooked Billet’
     

  • 1925 The Montagu View Pit Disaster
    1925
    The Montagu View Pit Disaster
     

  • 1927 Vickers-Armstrong Ltd
    1927
    Vickers-Armstrong Ltd
     

  • 1967 Scotswood Bridge
    1967
    Scotswood Bridge
     

  • 2013 A bright future for Scotswood…
    2013
    A bright future for Scotswood…
     

1367 The West Wood

Henry Scot is listed as having been Mayor of Newcastle several times. By the 14th century, it had become fashionable to have large parks in which to hunt deer. In 1367, Richard, son of John Scot, obtained a licence to enclose an area of 200 acres known as the West Wood, to make a Deer Park. This park was bounded to the west by Denton Burn and to the South by the Tyne.

Several sources attribute this as being the origin of ‘Scotswood’.